ISA Certified Automotive Professional (ICO) is a professional body for all car-dealers, motor insurance agents, automotive service managers and automotive technicians. The International Society of Automotive Engineers (IISA) is the professional association that governs the ISA. Its mission is to promote knowledge within the car industry. There are two levels of membership. First level is Associate (Professional) and the second level is Bachelor (General). For those who want to be a professional in this area and are already certified please go through the following steps.

First step: Search for a National Institute of Automotive Engineers (NIA) approved training center. There are several centers for automotive engineering and maintenance technicians located across the country. Once you found a recognized center, you can now choose from the different test schedule. Once you’ve decided which test program you want to take, it’s time to register and pay for the certification.

Second step: You will need to pass the exam. There are several methods to achieving an ISA certification. Two of the most popular test preparation packages include the ITT exam system and the CMT exam system. The ITT exam system is offered by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NICE). The CMT exam system is offered by the College Board.

Third step: If you plan to take the CMT exam, you must pay the exam fee before you can take the test. In order to be eligible for the exam fee, you must fulfill the eligibility criteria imposed by the institution that offers the exam. For instance, if you’re aiming to get an ISA certification as a senior professional, you must have a B average or higher in high school. Once you’re accepted to take the test, you will receive a registration card. The card will allow you to download a registration form from the website of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NICE).

Fourth step: After you received your ISA certification as a senior professional, you will need to pay the application fee again. The fee is normally not refundable. However, you’ll receive a receipt for the fee along with the confirmation that your registration has been accepted. This ID will serve as proof that you met the eligibility requirements for the certificate.

Fifth step: You will also need to pay for the exam fee and the application fee once again if you intend to take the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) exam. Once you’ve paid these fees, you will be given a registration card. You can then attend the examination center or take the exam online. Either way, you will need to register in your own name, rather than in the name of your employer.

Sixth step: You will need to pay for the professional practice test if you are applying for certification in the third tier of exams – the IATA Senior Practitioner (SPE) and IATA Practitioner (NP) exams. The SPE is only held once you have taken the exam fee and the application fee. If you pass, you will become a certified Specialist Engineer. For the NP exam, you will need to take the exam fee plus the registration fee. Once you become a NP, you can become a full professional Engineer. Your designation as an NP implies that you possess four years experience in automotive engineering and technical field.

Seventh step: You will then receive your official ISA certification card. You will need to present this card at the designated place of work or at an approved vehicle testing centre. After receiving your certification card, you will need to get an authorized vehicle maintenance plan to keep yourself updated with your vehicle’s service history. An ISA certified professional can use his/her car for personal purposes such as vacationing, so it is very important to keep your car maintenance record current.